Saturday, January 24, 2009

UME
EP local release show tonight @ Mohawk 1/24/09

Photobucket

The first time I saw Ume play was at the Whisky Bar, back in 2006 or 2007 when they were the showcased band at a Learning Secrets night. They blew me out of the water, and they continue to do so with each time I see them live. Its rare that a band is able to juggle aggresion and angst with, and I'm going to be extremely frank here, total sex appeal. Its also rare that a three piece rock band is able to sound so huge live, Jawbreaker did it well, and at the end of the day, after all the tired comparisons about Ume's sound are made, the one that I think warrants any merit is the comparison to Jawbreaker. However, there is more to Ume, and their sound, than what lies on the surface.

We're super stoked to be working with Ume on their new EP Sunshower, the local release show of which is tonight at Mohawk. The EP is full of some the strongest songs we've heard in a while, and again to be totally honest, its one of a handful of records as of late that is re-sparking my faith in guitar driven bands again ( A quick digression : I hate saying "rock," or "indie rock," because 1) lets be honest, when you hear a band being described as a "rock" band its kind of a turn off a wee bit, and 2) what the hell is an "indie rock" band anymore anyways? Vampire Weekend? or is it your little brothers band practicing in your mom and dads garage?).

I'll quit the rambling, and you get your posse together to come down to the Mohawk a little later tonight. We'll see each other, share a beer, and then allow ourselves to be totally floored by the talent that is Ume.

Click to listen, Download to enjoy, & as always, supprt the artist by actually buying their record.
<>UME - Sunshower
<>UME - The Conductor

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks. I have just started learning to play guitar online at http://tinyurl.com/co973y and need all the help I can get.